This specialty prepares graduates for the profession of a researcher in ecology and evolution. In addition, the specialty prepares students for professions of engineers, R&D managers, consultants, industry executives, environmental educators, teachers, scientific journalists, and administrators specialized in the management of biodiversity and the environment (definition and implementation of environmental policies within the framework of European and international directives and legislation: Water Framework Directive, Habitats Directive, sustainable management of resources).
Graduates are able to intervene in the fields of research and development, patents, advice and expertise in public or private national or international employers
- European Union
- Ministries of Ecology, Agriculture, Research
- Decentralized administrations: e.g. French DRAF, DIREN, ...
- Chambers of Agriculture
- Communities: regional, national parks, communities of communes, Agenda 21, ...
- NGOs: WWF, LPO
- Study and consultancy offices: e.g. French CAUE
- Industries: agro-chemistry, environmental industry (VEOLIA Environment, Suez ...)
- Teaching, Training, Research: national and international organizations and universities, technical institutes and / or specialized schools in the field of the environment: CNRS, INRA, IRD ...
Graduates master knowledge in the following areas:
- the main theories, concepts and tools of scientific ecology
- methods of statistical analysis
- molecular tools
- sampling protocols, in situ or field experimentation techniques, field observations and long-term monitoring.
The graduates are able to
- initiate a research and use tools and methods of the scientific approach: Ph.D.
- adapt to changing research needs and expertise in an area
- understand the functioning of ecosystems in order to successfully apply locally a national or international legislation
- assist in decisions
- make a literature analysis on a novel question, including applied topics such as hedgerows and biological corridors, or water quality
- develop monitoring and evaluation tools
- be the interface between scientific advances and their application
- produce scientific reports and publications
- communicate orally at scientific meetings